mkoctfile and .so (or .dll) files

From: krthie
Subject: mkoctfile and .so (or .dll) files
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 14:26:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi

I see that on Linux, I can only pass libSOMENAME.a libraries to the
mkoctfile command, not libSOMENAME.so files. The obvious way to workaround
it is to use -lSOMENAME and -Lapprepriatepath. But for my build system
(CMake) that'll be hard (I think...). Is there any reason the mkoctfile
script doesn't accept .so as extension?

The background for this question is that I'm trying to call mkoctfile from
my CMakeLists.txt passing a series of libraries in that I'm building as
well. CMake automatically generates the .so files (or .dll on Windows), and
it's relatively easy to then use these .so files in custom build rules.
It'll be hard (but not impossible) to convert it to the -l -L pair. Of
course, I'll probably have to do this anyway to support older octave
versions, but it made me wonder why.

Thanks

Kris