Re: java and fc16

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: java and fc16
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 15:36:57 -0800 (PST)

Michael Godfrey wrote
> John,
>
> In my fc16 system jni.h is not found.
> I get: JAVA_CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/lib/jvm/include -I/usr/lib/jvm/include/linux'
> but jni.h is not found down those paths, and there is no file 'include'
> in /usr/lib/jvm.  jni.h is in:
> /etc/alternatives/java_sdk_openjdk/include/
> If I do:
> cd /usr/lib/jvm
> ln -s /etc/alternatives/java_sdk_openjdk/include include
>
> build completes and make check reported:
> PASS   10580
> FAIL           0
> XFAIL         3
>
> I also had to install java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel  which was not
> installed by default.  This system also has java-1.5.0-gcj installed
> for some reason.  This could add some confusion.

I had the same error (jni.h not found) and solved it by, before running
./configure, setting JAVA_HOME to the place where the Java stuff lives.

On my Linux dev box (Mageia 2) the Java-related entries in /etc/alternatives
are symlinks to the relevant files or subdirs in /usr/lib/jvm/ and
/usr/lib/jvm/java-<version>/ rather than actual files.

As I outlined in a previous post, the way configure currently tries to find
a proper value for JAVA_HOME is a work in progress. Unfortunately I'm a bit
clueless about autotools programming :-(

Philip