Re: Java

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Java
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 15:59:11 -0800 (PST)

Michael Godfrey wrote
> On 11/25/12 9:20 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>> IMO configure should rather test if it can really stat jni.h, the real
>> Java
>> executables, and the jvm library (or jvm.cfg on Windows), and complain
>> about
>> a missing JAVA_HOME setting if it doesn't find all of them.
> This was not sufficient for my fc16 system.  JAVA_HOME='/usr/lib/jvm'
> but nothing there pointed to the needed include files.  Putting a link
> in /usr/lib/jvm so that include there pointed to the java include dir
> worked.

(Sorry didn't see this posting earlier.)

I suspect your JAVA_HOME setting may have been incorrect.

What files/subdirs are present in /usr/lib/jvm/  ?
Where exactly are the actual subdirs:
java-<version>/include   (containing jni.h)
java-<version>/bin    (containing java, javaw, javac, jar executables)
java-<version>/lib
java-<version>/jre
?
("java-" may also be something like "jdk-" or "java-jdk-" or so)

If your box has e.g., javac symlinked in /usr/bin, you might follow the
chain of symlinks to find the proper location of <JAVA_HOME>/bin and thus,
JAVA_HOME

Michael Goffioul explained a few years back that JAVA_HOME should be set
such that (IIRC) <JAVA_HOME>/jre/lib/<arch>/client/ contains the jvm library
(where <arch> could be a level higher up, I'm unsure, sorry)
On x86_64 systems the jvm is often not in ".../client/" but rather in
".../server/", the jvm lib should then be symlinked from
<JAVA_HOME>/jre/lib/<arch>/server to ..../client/

Philip