Re: java package and MacOS

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: java package and MacOS
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:32:06 -0800 (PST)

Daniel Sebald wrote
> On 11/27/2012 02:58 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
> :
> <snip>
> :
>> When I try "dlgtest(0)" I get ...
>>
>>      Java JDK home directory  does not exist.
>>      Please adapt java_home in dlgtest.m.
>>
>> Setting JAVA_HOME to that used during the build gives ...
>>
>>      setenv JAVA_HOME "/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home"
>>
>> Now "dlgtest(0)" results in ...
>>
>>      0 ... STOP
>>      1 ... listdlg tests
>>      2 ... errordlg tests
>>      3 ... warndlg tests
>>      4 ... helpdlg tests
>>      5 ... inputdlg tests
>>      6 ... TeX code tests
>>      Run which test?   [0]>
>>
>> Is this the expected result?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Yes.  When you run one of those tests there should be some dialog boxes
> appear on the screen if Java is working properly.
>
> BTW, I've just altered dlgtest on my local copy so that it doesn't
> return if the JAVA_HOME variable isn't defined.  Instead, it issues the
> current warning and continues on.  When unsetting the JAVA_HOME variable
> with
>
> export -n JAVA_HOME
>
> the Java demo seems to still work properly.  I think this conditional
> can be removed.  It isn't clear to me where/why JAVA_HOME definition is
> required.  I'm guessing it is interior to Octave java support somewhere
> and dlgtest() is assuming something about its requirement, but I keep
> thinking Octave should just fall back on "java" and "javac" as set up by
> the shell if nothing else.

This had already been fixed in Octave-Forge svn in late June:

(http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/10706/tree//trunk/octave-forge/extra/java/inst/dlgtest.m?diff=505e333171b75b10eb655d97:10705)

Note: Sourceforge SVN currently has problems and is very slow.

AFAICS JWE has definitely imported a Java pkg version from before June,
2012, and I think I know what might have deceived him into assuming it was
up-to-date.
I'll investigate the next days/week what changes/patches to the late Java
package SVN have to be re-applied to core Octave; I still have my own
up-to-date svn repo on my dev box at home. (I made the last two or three
Java package releases.)

IOW, please don't commit patches/changesets to the Java files, except the
autotools, until I've sorted it out.

See bug #37834

Thanks,

Philip