Re: Java on MinGW

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Java on MinGW
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 08:55:13 -0800

On 12/12/2012 02:39 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> On MinGW (gcc 3.5.2):
>
> ## W/o JAVA_HOME:
> :
> configure: WARNING: JAVA_HOME environment variable not initialized.
> configure: WARNING: Auto-detection will proceed but is unreliable.
> checking for java... /c/WINDOWS/system32/java
> checking for javac... no
> checking for jar... no
> configure: WARNING: No javac compiler or jar executable found. Octave will
> not be able to call Java methods.
> configure: creating ./config.status
> :
> Java home: C:\Programs\Java\jre6
> Java JVM path:
> Java CPPFLAGS:
> Java libraries:
> :
>
> ## W. JAVA_HOME /c/Programs/Java/jdk1.6.0_33
> :
> checking for java... /c/Programs/Java/jdk1.6.0_33/jre/bin/java
> checking for javac... /c/Programs/Java/jdk1.6.0_33/bin/javac
> checking for jar... /c/Programs/Java/jdk1.6.0_33/bin/jar
> checking for Java version... 1.6.0_33
> configure: WARNING: Library libjvm not found. Octave will not be able to
> call Java methods.
> :
> Java home: /c/Programs/Java/jdk1.6.0_33
> Java JVM path:
> Java CPPFLAGS:
> Java libraries:
> :
>
> Looks similar to what happens on my Linux-Mageia 2 box; it finds the
> executables OK but not the jvm.

12/12/12

Philip,

I'm not too surprised.  I have a FIXME note about uncertainties I had about MinGW and Cygwin platforms.

I can accommodate, but can you tell me what the name of the library to look for is?  On Unix systems it is libjvm.so.  On Cygwin or MinGW a little Google searching seems to show that it might be "jvm.dll", "jvm.dll.a", "libjvm.dll", "libjvm.dll.a".  I don't use either platform and have no idea.

Secondly, can you open a shell and go to the top-level Octave source directory.  From there, run the following and report what it says.

cd build-aux
java OctJavaQry JAVA_HOME
java OctJavaQry JAVA_LDPATH
java OctJavaQry JAVA_BOOTPATH

Finally, where is the jni.h include file?  Is it at $JAVA_HOME/include as it is for Linux platforms?  Is there a $JAVA_HOME/include/win32 directory that has jni_md.h?

--Rik

p.s. I checked in more changes today (http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/eade542fedaa).  Please do 'hg pull; hg update; bootstrap' to generate the new configure