Re: GSoC Enquiry: Improving binary packaging

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: GSoC Enquiry: Improving binary packaging
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:31:18 -0400

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Lukas Reichlin <address@hidden> wrote:
On 08.06.2013, at 20:17, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:

> 5) Concerning OS X, I don't have much information to give. I'm not a OS X user and I didn't really follow the history of the corresponding binaries. I know that Ben Abbott used to build and provides binaries, but I don't know what's the current status. You can find some information on the wiki [6].

Regarding a real Octave.app for OS X, there was a "framework" [1] by Thomas Treichl for Octave 3.2 using Apple's Xcode.  This seems to be a superior way
to MacPorts-related binaries.  How about resurrecting Thomas' work?

Ideally, we should have a single build system. MXE seems to be good candidate; note that jwe's MXE does not mean "cross-compiling to MinGW" anymore, it's more than that: it's a Makefile-based build system that is able to do cross and native build under Linux and MinGW (wip). I have 0 knowledge of the OS X build systems, but is it imaginable to integrate existing work into MXE?

Michael.