Re: octave-dock-widget.cc: new file missing

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: octave-dock-widget.cc: new file missing
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 15:40:29 +0800

On Jun 22, 2013, at 3:30 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

> On 06/22/2013 02:12 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> Strange.  It definitely looks like an object file is missing from your
>>> link.  Here is what I'm seeing in my build directory for object files:
>>>
>>> [build-gui-11]# find -name *octave-dock-widget*
>>> ./libgui/src/moc-octave-dock-widget.cc
>>> ./libgui/src/src_libgui_src_la-moc-octave-dock-widget.lo
>>> ./libgui/src/.libs/src_libgui_src_la-moc-octave-dock-widget.o
>>> ./libgui/src/.libs/src_libgui_src_la-octave-dock-widget.o
>>> ./libgui/src/.deps/src_libgui_src_la-octave-dock-widget.Plo
>>> ./libgui/src/.deps/src_libgui_src_la-moc-octave-dock-widget.Plo
>>> ./libgui/src/src_libgui_src_la-octave-dock-widget.lo
>>>
>>> Dan
>>

>> This is what I see in my sources.
>>
>> find . -name *octave-dock-widget*
>> ./.hg/store/data/libgui/src/octave-dock-widget.cc.i
>> ./.hg/store/data/libgui/src/octave-dock-widget.h.i
>> ./libgui/src/octave-dock-widget.cc
>> ./libgui/src/octave-dock-widget.h
>
> That's correct.
>
>> And below is the result where I build.
>>
>> $ find . -name *octave-dock-widget*
>> ./.hg/store/data/libgui/src/octave-dock-widget.cc.i
>> ./.hg/store/data/libgui/src/octave-dock-widget.h.i
>> ./libgui/src/.deps/src_libgui_src_la-moc-octave-dock-widget.Plo
>> ./libgui/src/.libs/src_libgui_src_la-moc-octave-dock-widget.o
>> ./libgui/src/moc-octave-dock-widget.cc
>> ./libgui/src/octave-dock-widget.cc
>> ./libgui/src/octave-dock-widget.h
>> ./libgui/src/src_libgui_src_la-moc-octave-dock-widget.lo
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Somehow there is a hidden directory for mercurial in your build directory.  I
> don't think that should be there, but at the same time I don't know how that
> would cause a problem when building.  But also there is
>
>> ./libgui/src/octave-dock-widget.cc
>> ./libgui/src/octave-dock-widget.h
>
> in your build directory.  Those should only be in the source tree.  The
> following is a derived file:

On MacOS X, I've not been able to build outside of my source tree .... so I
clone my sources a second time and build there.

>> ./libgui/src/moc-octave-dock-widget.cc
>
> (it contains Qt information necessary for communicating via signals and
> slots) so that should (repeat should) be in the build directory.  These three
> are missing:
>
>>> ./libgui/src/.libs/src_libgui_src_la-octave-dock-widget.o
>>> ./libgui/src/.deps/src_libgui_src_la-octave-dock-widget.Plo
>>> ./libgui/src/src_libgui_src_la-octave-dock-widget.lo
>
> and that's where the object code you are missing is located.  It's as though
> your configure isn't correct, or maybe something was messed up with your
> repository.  I'm guessing, but did you try hg pull/update while in your build
> directory?  (I don't know enough about mercurial to know wether that is good
> or bad.)

As far as I know all is up to date.  Is there anyway a old or too new verions
of flex, autoconf, or automake could be responsiblle?  I'll take a look at that
in a while (I have an errand to run now).

Ben