Re: Basic classdef functionality

From: Philipp Kutin
Subject: Re: Basic classdef functionality
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 20:42:02 +0200

Hi Jordi,

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Not to be rude, but talk is kind of cheap... We don't need to be told
> what to do, we need to get it done.
First, as I said, I didn't intend to "tell what to do", merely suggest
a direction. Second, I disagree. Design is an essential part of the
software development process; in particular, it has to be clear what
the goals are. Hence, my mail was merely that: an attempt to suggest a
subset of the huge classdef functionality that implies the maximum
usefulness. [OK, I realize things can't always be expressed so
objectively as everyone has their own ideas.]

> That's kind of intentional, but if you want to directly give money to
> Michael, nothing's stopping you.
Not to belittle Michael's contribution, but I guess I changed my mind
to donating to the project at large. I have used various parts of
Octave in the past, but classdef seems to be very basic at this point
(or maybe Michael has a different direction in mind; in any case I'd
be curious to hear his opinion).

> Everyone has a big deal with Octave. Reference semantics happen to be
> your big deal.
Well, I like to think that classdef makes the language richer in
objective terms. But OK... point taken.

>> I hope that I could convince you a little :).
>
> I'm not sure if Michael actually wants to work on classdef for money.
I obviously didn't mean the money, but the design proposal.

> I haven't built the classdef branch in a long time, so I don't
> know what the current status is. Why don't you prepare a story in
> freedomsponsors or bountysource?
Meh. The thing is, I'd be interested in contributing code to Octave
myself, if it weren't for some "points of friction". I have good
practical experience in C, but only theoretical (a lecture) in C++.
Then, the project seems rather large, but maybe I just need to start
doing stuff (like debugging the segfault that happens when you index a
classdef object like "o()") to get familiar with it. As for the code
style, let's just assume that I wear huge rose-tinted glasses... oh
well ;).

--Philipp