Re: Editor in GUI

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Editor in GUI
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 19:04:52 -0800

On 11/13/2013 06:18 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 21:12:20 -0500
> From: Doug Stewart <address@hidden>
> To: Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
> Subject: GUI Edit
>
> I think I have found a bug, and would like some one to confirm what I am
> seeing.
> I did a fresh compile today  hg id   b602014eeb54 tip @
> I am using Ubuntu 12.04
>
> In the setting for the editor I have.
> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> If I try and start a new file it open up a gedit window: this is good.
>
> when I try
>
> edit get all
> ans =
>
>   scalar structure containing the fields:
>
>     EDITOR = emacs %s
>     HOME = /home/doug/octave
>     AUTHOR = doug
>     EMAIL = [](0x0)
>     LICENSE = GPL
>     MODE = async
>     EDITINPLACE = 0
>
> This says that my editor is emacs
>
> Also when I try to edit an existing file Octave shuts down (crashes).
> I do have emacs installed and I can run it from a terminal, but it never
> shows up from octave.
>
> Any Ideas???
>
> Doug
When in the GUI, the editor returned from edit.m is not used.  If you look
at the GUI preferences it says that %f is replaced by a filename.  Your
editor is just 'gedit' so it is always going to open a blank file.  I would
try changing the preference string to "gedit %f".  Still, Octave shouldn't
have crashed for this.

--Rik