Re: 4.0 vs 3.8 again

From: Salva Ardid
Subject: Re: 4.0 vs 3.8 again
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 12:24:23 -0500

El Dimarts, 19 de novembre de 2013, a les 12:16:01, John W. Eaton va escriure:

> On 11/19/2013 11:37 AM, Salva Ardid wrote:
> > Why don't invest energy on getting stable gui, jit, etc and then release
> > it? This could be an option, unless it would take not few months but ~1-2
> > years to make this really happen...
>
> I'm pretty sure I can guarantee that it's going to take more than a few
> months for the JIT compiler to be working and doing anything significant.
>
> And for "etc", I guess it depends on what you mean by "etc".
>
> jwe

'etc' was referred to classdef as well as any other significant improvement
that I may not be aware of, which is planned to be included in GNU Octave 3.8
(or 4.0)...

Perhaps, deciding on 4.0 might be based on what is the main point you want to
really emphasize with it: is it the GUI? is it JIT? any other? and then see
when this may be ready for the average user (to avoid good expectations to be
counterproductive). Finally, according to that you could decide whether next
version can be better call 3.8 or 4.0, and the most proper time for it to
appear...