Re: Document "search for already known bugs in Savanah"

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Document "search for already known bugs in Savanah"
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 12:27:07 -0600

On 11/23/2013 06:30 AM, Pantxo Diribarne wrote:
Hello,

The best way (that I know of) to search for already known octave bugs in
Savanah is to use the search link inside the bug menu, *not* the search
area on the left hand side of the window. I learned this reading a post
here on the maintainers list, but I can't find this information on the
octave site [1]. Am I wrong ?

I see that developers are worried about eventual duplicate bug reports
about the GUI.

I took this into consideration when I questioned what to do with bug reports, i.e., having inexperienced users attempting a search on Savanah. For years I was using what I thought was the search engine, thinking this one bad search engine--it tells me about all these bugs for other Savannah projects. Turns out I was using the wrong search as posted by someone on the maintainers list.

 Furthermore, the GUI directs user to this pages [1] if
they want to report a bug. It seams to me that a small paragraph should
be added. Using my frenchglish :

"... reported problems is the Octave bug tracker
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave>. You should use the
"search" link under the "bug" menu in order to search for keywords in
octave specific bugs."

Pantxo

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/bugs.html

This is pretty good, so definitely make sure people are directed to that site. But you are right that there isn't enough of a statement about using the proper search engine and avoiding duplicate bug reports.

Dan