Re: File separator on MinGW

From: Rik
Subject: Re: File separator on MinGW
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 13:56:08 -0800

On 11/27/2013 01:26 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 11/27/2013 02:54 PM, Rik wrote:
>> 11/27/13
>>
>> When I type 'ls bi<Tab>'  in a directory that has a subdirectory "bin" the
>> parser auto-completes to "bin/".  Shouldn't it be using the value of
>> filesep() as the final character in the auto-complete?  Where is that code
>> kept?
>
> I'm pretty sure it's readline that's doing that.  There are several hook functions for dealing with directory name completion.  But since Windows accepts either / or \ as the directory separator, I don't see this as an urgent problem.
>
> jwe

It's not urgent, but just because Windows accepts either separator doesn't mean that Octave does as well.  I came across this because of three instances, although there are more if you grep for filesep comparisons in the scripts directory.

"ls bin/"  fails with
Invalid switch - "".
error: ls: command exited abnormally with status 127

because ls_command() on Windows is
dir /D

and

runtests dir_name/

also fails because it is looking for either a bare directory name or a name with the appended filesep.

Finally,

what bin/
error: what: subscript indices must be either positive integers less than 2^31 or logicals
error: called from:
error:   C:\Documents and Settings\Rik\My Documents\Octave\octave-2013-11-27-09-34\share\octave\3.7.
7+\m\miscellaneous\what.m at line 36, column 7

All examples work if the correct Windows file separator is used.

--Rik