Re: GSOC Project

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: GSOC Project
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 01:35:00 -0800 (PST)

Sandeep wrote
> Hello,
> I am Sandeep MV and I want to participate in GSoC. Please go through my
> public profile and suggest edits.
> http://wiki.octave.org/User:Sandeepmv
> This is my first time applying for GSoC, so please help me to correct
> mistakes in my application. I have completed octave build and installed it
> on my system. I am reading code from the past few days and in this page (
> http://wiki.octave.org/Mapping_package), there are a number of functions
> that need to be added. I have checked the OctaveForge page(
> http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/mapping/), and there are some functions
> listed there which have been recently added. So, can I start developing
> other functions on the page or should I still check any other source for
> already added functions?
>
> Sincerely,
> Sandeep

Your wiki page is looking good, Sandeep.
You might want to group the missing functions in the mapping package.
For example: file I/O; web maps; map display; data analysis; and
coordinates, geodesy, and projections, see:
<http://www.mathworks.com/help/map/functionlist.html>
Then you could try and match each function to existing implementations, such
as in the toolbox that I offered:
<http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/view_license?file_info_id=44848>
and also in this one, which claims to have partial Octave compatibility:
<http://www2.ocgy.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html>
Thanks,
-Felipe.