Re: IVP for Parabolic-Elliptic 1D Queries

From: prao
Subject: Re: IVP for Parabolic-Elliptic 1D Queries
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 06:38:42 -0800 (PST)

fgnievinski wrote
> Any insight from how Scilab, Freemat, Julia, SciPy, or R handle this?
> -F.

Hi Felipe,

Thanks for the reply. Different packages have different ways to handle it,
and the methods have their own pros and cons. I compiled a list of some of
the packages including the ones you suggested:

1. R
Uses finite difference (mainly a combination of Runge-Kutta and multistep
methods like BDF and Adams)

2. Netlib
It has subroutines employing different methods
 -PDECOL (B-splines collocation)
 -EPDCOL (B- splines)
-PDEONE ( finite difference)
-PDECHEB (C0 collocation)

3. Julia
It doesn't have a PDE solver but it does have an ODE solver that interfaces
with Sundials(finite difference, multi step methods)

4. DUNE
It has a bunch of solvers. Apparently their hybrid Galerkin has very good
performance.

5. SciPy doesn't have a PDE solver but FiPy(finite volume) and StePy(finite
element) do.

6. Freemat
Couldn't find anything related to pde solvers

I am leaning towards finite difference methods using Runge-Kutta type
methods. My preference is based on my familiarity and relative use of their
implementation and their high performance. I am doing some more paper
reading to figure out exactly what RK methods would be appropriate.

Does anyone have any ideas, comments or suggestions? Thanks!

Best,
Pooja