Re: mxe-octave cross-build errors when building native-gcc

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: mxe-octave cross-build errors when building native-gcc
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:47:53 +0100

John D wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: John D [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2014 8:08 PM
To: address@hidden; Philip Nienhuis
Cc: John W. Eaton

Message: 3
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 14:41:30 -0800 (PST)
From: PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

With mxe-octave

(hg summary:
parent: 3556:22b42ac3fd68 tip
  native-gcc: remove unintended changes to native-gcc.mk from cs
b1ca68ddd02c)

the cross-build consistently stops at native-gcc with (from the log):

:
g++ -c   -g -O2 -DIN_GCC   -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti

<snip>

----
I get the same trying to cross compile on my Fedora 20 machine, what OS are
you using?
Attached patch makes it compile for me.
I looks to me that it is trying to pull in some system includes instead of
the mxe build ones, but I couldn't get it to not do that except by compiling
with mpc, mprf etc copied into the gcc build as per the patch.

---
With actual content in the patch (attached)

Just found some time to try that patch. Result:
native-gcc gets (cross-)built fine now,
using mxe-octave's tip of March 6 (today) - b1a7cff2d2a9 / Add octave forge of-netcdf package (and support files).

Thanks!

> The other thing needed (on my system as least) has been to copy libgcc.a to
> the lib folder when making the dist (Not included in this patch) in order
> for gcc to compile programs when installed.

Could this be the reason for not being able to install packages as reported e.g., here:
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/cannot-install-packages-on-octave-3-8-1rc3-tt4662113.html
?
I did find a libgcc.a in ./lib/gcc/i686-w64-mingw32/4.8.2

==> Here I needed to copy libgcc_s.a from .\lib\gcc\i686-w64-mingw32\lib\ (rather than libgcc.a from.\lib\gcc\o686-w64-mingw32\4.8.2\) to ./lib to avoid "cannot find -lgcc_s" errors from ld.
What needs to be patched for that? he nsis installer script?

On a related note, it is better to comment out the OF tsa package line in src/build_packages.m as long as Alois hasn't fixed the compile flags (see bug #41635).

BTW I also found out that Octave with OpenBLAS doesn't seem to work well on some Core i3 CPUs. Last Wednesday I installed Octave-3.8.1-rc4 on a colleague's WinXP laptop with that CPU, and Octave-gui's opening window (the cmd32.exe that disappears later during startup) showed repeated messages along the lines of (IIRC):
"OpenBLAS: ..... AVX instruction missing"
(followed by a very long delay)
Anyway I see that in the latest mxe-octave there's a choice for ref- or openblas. Nice!

Philip