Re: New Geodesy functions to Mapping Package

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: New Geodesy functions to Mapping Package
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 18:10:25 -0700 (PDT)

sunnyv wrote
> Hello,
> I have modified the code and tried to implement as many suggestions in the
> functions I have submitted. All the functions are now working properly and
> giving the same result as with Matlab. However, my functions are a little
> different as they even accept the ellipsoid input as a string (example:
> 'wgs84') and also as a structure. I am looking forward to include vector
> input and tests too within a week.
>
> I have written the entire ecef2geodetic function from scratch as one
> present in Felipe's source did not work well. The result is similar to
> matlab output. I have also coded few other functions on my own as I could
> not find them in Felipe's sources. Please check the code and provide
> suggestions.
>
> Here is the link to the patch:
> https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?8377
>
> These functions complete the 3D Coordinate system functions in Geodesy for
> Mapping package.
>
> Thanks,
> Sandeep Mahanthi

Hello Sandeep -- thank you for your updated submission.

In the future, please prefer to post on previous related threads, which
makes it easier to follow:
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Added-new-functions-to-the-mapping-package-tt4662769.html#a4662777>

Could you please elaborate on what problems you faced with ecef2geodetic?
It originally offered three separate algorithms implementations.

I looked briefly at the patch and it seems that multiple-point input is not
supported in ecec2geodetic, only one point per function call, is that true?

Also, the tests took almost as much effort to build as the conversion
routines themselves, so please make sure these are carried on, too.

Finally, these wiki tasks will be helpful for planning purposes:
- Make a table matching each missing function to an existing implementations
in the geod toolbox [2].
- Group the missing functions above in: file I/O; web maps; map display;
data analysis; and coordinates, geodesy, and projections, as per [1]. Please
keep the original alphabetical list intact.
<http://wiki.octave.org/Mapping_package>

Keep up the good work!

Best,
-Felipe.

PS: maybe it's time to update section Y, "Your task", in your application
wiki page:
<http://wiki.octave.org/User:Sandeepmv#Y: Your task>
I assume based on your demonstrated experience that it'll be related to the
Mapping package.
I'd advise you to look at other students applications to see if you could
borrow anything in terms of structure or content.  For example, make sure
you mention your full name on it.