GSOC 2014 Introduction

From: Prashanth Srinivasan
Subject: GSOC 2014 Introduction
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 01:53:35 +0530

Hello,

I am sorry to be late to this thread. I didn't think any Octave projects would be within my grasp, until I took a patient read at the list 2 days back.

I am Prashanth Srinivasan from India, currently in my fourth year at IIT Madras (in Chennai), pursuing Mechanical Engineering.

I have done courses dealing with numerical methods, Optimisation, Linear Algebra, Graph Theory, Bifurcation Theory and Differential Eqns, and Calculus. I've used Octave/Scilab/Matlab for my coursework assignments.

I have good experience with coding in Matlab and python. I have implemented a few optimisation routines (steepest descent, Newtonian Descent, basic Convex Optimisation routines, etc.)
I haven't yet built Octave from source. I plan to do that in the coming 2 days.
I have built a few other applications from source (using the usual configure, make, make install instructions), and have basic experience with using git.

I find the following 2 numerical projects interesting :
1. Solver for 1D nonlinear boundary value problems : I am reading through the paper mentioned there. The first paper, (link) , BVP solver using residual control and Matlab PSE, seems restricted behind a pay-wall.
2. Solver for initial Boundary Problems for 1D parabolic/elliptic PDE's. : I have read the preliminary reading material given in the brief description - method of lines, how it is a essentially discretising all but one variables,  example Implementation.

I will very grateful for advice regarding how to proceed with respect to the Parabolic PDE proposal :
1. I fail to see the exact relation between the method of lines, and parabolic/elliptic PDE's. What exactly makes the method of lines more suited to these problems, and not many other PDE's (if it useful elsewhere, we could implement it separately).
2. Can someone point me to further literature to strengthen my proposal?

Thanks and Regards,
Prashanth Srinivasan,
4th year Dual Degree Student,
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering,