Re: GSOC'14 Looking for mentor

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: GSOC'14 Looking for mentor
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 01:20:07 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Sandeep,

I'm starting to be concerned miscommunication might become an obstacle in this proposal.
You seem reluctant to reduce the scope of your proposal, despite insistent alerts.
I've also asked you multiple times to (1) group the missing functions and (2) match them to an implementation in the geod package, to no avail.

At this point, let me clarify I am willing to mentor a proposal dealing exclusively with the "Coordinates, Geodesy, and Projections" portion only.
The rationale is that there exist a good deal of tested code to borrow; besides, it's a sizable chunk of the Mapping package.
The portions "Map Display" and "Standard I/O", despite indisputably useful, could easily be a separate GSoC proposal each.

Ultimately the proposal is your own.
However, I reserve the right to decline mentoring if it seems too risky.
Not to mention there are Octave developers who could veto the proposal if they remain unconvinced of its feasibility.

Feel free to go ahead with the Melange website submission at your convenience.
Would you please make sure you state any other commitments for the GSoC period.
And I'd refrain from linking directly to the MathWorks website in an Octave proposal.

Good luck,
-Felipe.