Re: alternatives for funding

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: alternatives for funding
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 14:45:30 -0700 (PDT)

Just sharing another revenue idea.

I noticed that RedHat is offering "self-supported" versions of their Linux:
<https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/desktop/>
Basically the only privilege that gives access to is software update:
<https://access.redhat.com/site/support/offerings/production/sla>
<https://access.redhat.com/site/articles/54702>
And even the software update aspect, I don't think it's crucial.

I also realized the FSF has an online shop:
<http://shop.fsf.org/>
It'd seem feasible to bundle up a printout of the Octave manual along with a
USB copy of the sources plus whatever binaries are available -- maybe even a
live version which doesn't require installation! -- and charge $100 for it.
Maybe even design of a nice box.

Then post a link on Octave.org, along with or as a replacement for the
donation button (which I abhor -- for me, the homeless shelter needs
donations, Octave deserves fair compensation!).

I wish I could be the first buyer!

And enough exclamations! :o)

cheers,
-Felipe.