Re: Where to distribute auxiliary data files?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Where to distribute auxiliary data files?
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 05:43:56 -0400

On 08/18/2014 05:29 PM, Rik wrote:
8/18/14

Matlab comes with a number of data files which they use repeatedly in their
documentation.  Some of the data sources are freely available.  One of
these is the 3-D data for a penny which comes from NIST.  This file has
been made available to Octave, but where should it be placed?

Possible choices:
1) examples/ directory.  Currently this holds only code samples for the
External Code Interface (.oct, .mex files)
2) etc/ directory.  Currently this holds a grab bag of stuff such as NEWS,
doc-cache, config.log, and a directory with the fixed built-in tests.
3) New location.  The imagelib directory is distributed in
local/share/octave/VERSION/imagelib and contains default images and icons.
Perhaps we need a new data/ directory that contains distributed data files.

Something like the attached change would be OK with me.

Should this directory be included in the default load path so that the load function will find data files there by default?