Octsympy-0.1.0, symbolic package

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Octsympy-0.1.0, symbolic package
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:19:01 +0100

Hi folks,

I've just released a new version of the symbolic package I mentioned a
few months ago.  Lots of things work for me but I'd love to get some
wider testing.

SymPy does all the hard work under the hood, including lovely unicode
pretty-printing, all available from within the Octave GUI or terminal.

There are packages available [1] including a self-contained Windows
package (no dependencies, Octave bug #43036 worked around)

[1] https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/releases

OctSymPy communicates with Python using a popen2() pipe.  I developed
it on Fedora and I've done some very light testing on Windows.  Be
great to know what happens on a Mac (I think Lukas Reichlin tried a
few months ago and it worked then, but sub-optimally).  Help with Mac
and Windows would be great.

Basically, please test and file issues [2] if things don't work!

[2] https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/issues

I suppose my next goal is getting this on octave-forge, so let me know
if there are particular features you feel it should have first.  Even
better, help me add them ;-)

I'm aiming for Matlab Symbolic Math Toolbox compatibility (or
documented differences).  Lots of low-hanging fruit here.  Based on
the number of Matlab textbooks I see with a chapter on symbolic
computing, I think this is a project with potentially great positive
impact.  Also, upstream (SymPy) is a fun community!

best,
Colin

--
Colin Macdonald
Associate Professor in Numerical Methodologies