Re: Singular matrix warning IDs

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Singular matrix warning IDs
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:37:28 -0500

On Wed, 2014-12-17 at 22:06 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> I checked in the following change so that warning IDs are used for all
> cases where Octave warns about singular matrices when inverting matrices
> or solving systems of equations.
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/a0c7001cf1a8

Jeez, that's quite the number of nearly identical calls you had to
replace... let's hope you didn't miss any. ;-)

> Note that in some cases the singular matrix warning is followed by
> another warning message about attempting to find a minimum norm
> solution. I'm not sure whether that warning should be controlled by
> a separate ID, the same ID as for the singular matrix warning, or
> simply removed.

Don't we already do the approximate equivalent of pinv(A)*b in all
cases for A\b? I don't think this needs further explanation. Also, the
"minimum norm" solution warning seems to pop up in weird, inconsistent
places right now. As far as I can tell, only if you use single
precision?

I would just drop it, like you said.

- Jordi G. H.