New Item Group value for bug tracker

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: New Item Group value for bug tracker
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:27:58 -0500

While thinking about warning and error IDs, I came across the following Matlab behavior:

Escape sequences like \n and \t are not converted in error messages if a single argument is passed to error, but they are if more than one argument is supplied AND the message ID counts as the second argument, not just the ones that follow as possible values for printf-style % conversions. Weird. OK, so I was going to note this in the bug tracker, and I started to think about how crazy this behavior seems to me, so I decided to add a new Item Group value to the tracker:

WTF, MATLAB?!? -- Insane Matlab bugs^H^H^H^Hfeatures we'd really prefer not to copy

Then, almost finished with my report, I decided to try this in Octave. Much to my surprise, it appears that we've already copied this behavior. WTF, Octave?!?

So, anyway, I left the value in the tracker. Feel free to enjoy using it anytime someone reports some crazy Matlab compatibility issue.