Re: octave-financial maintenance

From: Parsiad Azimzadeh
Subject: Re: octave-financial maintenance
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 16:55:14 +0000

Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>> Parsiad Azimzadeh wrote
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I spoke to Carn? on the mailing list in February of 2015 about the
>> financial package:
>>
>>> Without a maintainer, the financial package may even be eventually
>>> removed from the list of Octave Forge packages. If you have an interest
>>> in the package, are familiar with the subject, and are willing to take
>>> the
>>> responsibility, the package is yours.
>>
>> I have previously submitted (through patches on savannah) around 10 clones
>> of
>> MATLAB functions to the financial package, and recently submitted a hefty
>> changset which includes clones of MATLAB's stochastic differential
>> equation
>> simulation functionality in the financial package
>> ( https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8748 ).
>>
>> Unfortunately, doing things through the patch tracker is slow. I would
>> like
>> take on the responsibility of maintaining the package so that I can
>> routinely add
>> new clones of MATLAB functions and produce releases.
>>
>> (my PhD thesis is in optimal stochastic control--in particular, its
>> applications to
>> finance--and hence I am somewhat familiar with the topic)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Parsiad

Just to be sure, with "clones" you mean "independent implementations of
Matlab functions written from scratch in Octave language and style without
ever having peeked at the Matlab code"?

If yes, I'm sure you'll be most welcome as financial package maintainer.

Philip

That is correct: I take the legalities of backwards-engineering seriously. I have not looked at the MATLAB code to create my contributions.

I have attached my RSA public key for write-access to the repo.

Thanks,
Parsiad