Re: Updated odeset/odeget in core

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Updated odeset/odeget in core
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 23:53:42 -0700 (PDT)

Rik-4 wrote
> Can anyone who solves odes regularly comment whether these are needed
> anymore?  Otherwise, I would remove them to lower the number of lines of
> code that need to be maintained.
>
> Cheers,
> Rik

Some of the options were renamed due to Matlab compatibility and Jacopo kept
them because of backward compatibility with odepkg. I think we can break
with that.
Some other options are solver specific (e.g. I have introduced 5 years ago
NewtonTol for radau5). I suggest that we remove them but we should allow
arbitrary parameter/value pairs (maybe with a warning). This is different
from Matlab (I believe) but still allows odepkg to work. More elegant but
rather complicated: odeset/get checks if odepkg is installed and loads a
corresponding list of acceptable strings.

Sebastian