Re: Octave-Forge: Proposal to improve package overview page

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: Proposal to improve package overview page
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:49:49 +0100

On 14 October 2015 at 09:46, Carlo De Falco <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like the new design very much!
>
> On 13 Oct 2015, at 22:17, Oliver Heimlich <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> 2. All packages need an icon. Luckily I have already prepared some ;-)
>> The idea is that the icon is independent of the package release and is
>> maintained by the Octave Forge maintainer (Carnë) and must be provided
>> only once (ideally by the package author).
>
> why not just require to add an "icon.png" file in each package tarball ?

Why would have the package maintainer have to include the icon every time?
I can't imagine that the icon would change very often so it makes more
sense to do it only once (we probably shouldn't change it very often
either since that would be confusing).
Also, it would require less changes to the generate_html package.

On 14 October 2015 at 09:51, Carlo De Falco <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> In addition, what about also adding a link to a wiki page either besides
> the "download" and "details" links or in the "details" page?
>
> Many packages already have their own wiki page, the list is on the
> main page or can be accessed from here:
> http://wiki.octave.org/Category:Octave-Forge

That list is only a small part of the packages we have.  And the wiki
page of many of those is mostly for developers (list of missing
functions and options), so not the best to fit here.

Instead, the index page of each package could have links to any
page that the package developer wants to (it is possible to have a
url field on the DESCRIPTION file although I thing generate_html
drops those).

Carnë