Re: Maintaining video package

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Maintaining video package
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 15:43:52 +0000

On 22 October 2015 at 08:06, PrasannaKumar Muralidharan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> As there is no maintainer for video package, I would like to be the
> maintainer of video package.
>
> I am planning to make the video package work with latest FFMpeg as
> first step and then will try to improve it. Will review and merge
> patches when some patch is available.
>
> What I am supposed to do to get the access rights for video package?

Please submit patches to the patch tracker.  Alternatively, you can
have a clone of the repository somewhere and ask for pull requests
(since the repository is mercurial, the two most know services are
sourceforge and bitbucket).  I find that such pull requests work better
than uploading patches to the tracker.

After some reviewed patches we can revisit giving you push access to
Octave Forge.

On 23 October 2015 at 13:13, PrasannaKumar Muralidharan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> Thanks for the patch.
>
> Looks like the patch was made in a way that it works with older and
> newer versions of FFMpeg. Do we need video package to compile with
> older FFMpeg versions?

Unless you mean dropping support for unreasonably old versions, yes.
Do not support only the latest version.

On another note, it may be better to forget about the video package
and simply try to make Matlab compatible implementations of video
functions.  This will attract more attention, will be more reviewed,
will be more distributed, and will have more users.  That's what
happened with the audio package.  It's you call though.

Carnë