Re: Pytave - (probably mercurial) - - Question

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Pytave - (probably mercurial) - - Question
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2016 10:36:29 -0400

On Sat, 2016-06-04 at 12:31 +0530, Abhinav Tripathi wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a few questions, which probably are general mercurial questions but
> might be specific to pytave, so I am sending on the list.
> .
> 1)When working on the pytave repo, even if I don't checkout any bookmark, I
> still can commit. Where does the commit go?
> I know that no bookmark is checked as I see no '*' when I do 'hg
> bookmark'.

It goes wherever you're standing.

A big difference between git and hg is that in hg commits don't need a
reference to "exist". In git, commits are only found if you have a
reference to them. In hg, your commits are always found, with or
without a bookmark. A book's pages don't disappear if you shake the
book and the bookmarks fall out.

Look at `hg log -G`. Your commits are always on a graph, whether they
have a bookmark or not. Alternatively, you can do `hg serve` and open a
web browser on http://localhost:8000 and look at the graph link on the
left.

I recommend a setup similar to the following:

    http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/customising-mercurial-like-a-pro/

You might also want to read the following blog post:

    http://vakila.github.io/blog/warming-up-to-mercurial/

You might be interested in grabbing ideas from my hg config:

    http://inversethought.com/hg/hgrc/file/default/hgrc

Don't copy anything from that file that you don't understand, though.

> 2)What is the 'master'  branch for the repo?
> Is it the '@' bookmark?

That's the convention. The only special thing about the "@" bookmark
is that it will be the revision (commit, changeset) that will be
checked out from new clones.

> 3)I cloned my fork of pytave repo on bitbucket. Even though I can
> see a couple of commits in 'hg log' which i made. But I cannot see
> the same changes in the files! I tried checking out both bookmarks
> (there are only 2) but still no luck.

Try navigating your repo with `hg serve` as described above and see if
you can figure out what happened.

> 4)If I create a new bookmark and just work on it, will it behave
> like a git branch, so that even if there are some other commits in
> other files (not related to my commits), i could merge (rather push)
> without any conflicts?

Yeah, but merging and pushing isn't the same thing.

- Jordi G. H.