Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 06:18:50 +0900 (JST)

--- ee130002001
> Hi,I started trying to build PyTave on windows. I used cygwin as I didn't
> know about any alternatives.
> I had to install many packages at first (it was a fresh cygwin install)...
> My octave on windows was installed at "e:/octave-4.0.0/"
> .
> When I do: "./configure OCTAVE_CONFIG=e:/octave-4.0.0/bin/octave-config.exe"
> I got that linking with octave was failed. And the setup showed that "octave
> development packages" were not found.
> I change the address of config file with
> "cygdrive/e/octave-4.0.0/bin/octave-config.exe" but got the same result.
> .
> Then I installed "octave-devel" package using "apt-cyg". On my 2G internet it
> took more than 3 hours and downloaded tonnes of packages and even install
> octave in cygwin (/bin/octave).
> .
> So, now I gave '/bin/octave-config' as the config file. (Although I think
> that I should not use this as octave is supposed to be installed on windows
> and not cygwin).
> I still get the same error...
> .
> Any pointers as to how to proceed? Or any other methods to try this out
> (except cygwin)?
> .
> I have pasted the whole configure output (which is nearly identical for all 3
> things that I tried)...:
>
> Abhinav address@hidden /cygdrive/e/My_Repos/pytave
> $ ./configure OCTAVE_CONFIG=/bin/octave-config
> checking for g++... g++
> checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
> checking for suffix of executables... .exe
> checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
> checking for g++ option to enable C++11 features... -std=gnu++11
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for gcc option to enable C11 features... -std=gnu11
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu11 -E
> checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile
> checking for octave-config filename... specified /bin/octave-config
> checking for Octave library path... /usr/lib/octave/4.0.1
> checking for Octave include path... /usr/include/octave-4.0.1/octave
> checking whether linking to Octave works... no
> configure: WARNING:
> Can not link with Octave.
>
> Make sure the Octave development package is installed.
> configure: error: in `/cygdrive/e/My_Repos/pytave':
> configure: error: unable to find Octave development files
> See `config.log' for more details
> .

On windows, there are two kind of octave. one is octave on *native* windows and
octave on cygwin.
Theoretically *native* octave can built by cygwin using cross compiling tools
but iirc noone succeed for that.

I have succeed to build octave native to windows using octave package itself
and msys2.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-build-on-windows-using-octave-binary-itself-tp4676652.html

perhaps you need python. it can be installed using msys2.

Tatsuro