Re: 4.2 Release Strategy

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 4.2 Release Strategy
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 12:08:44 -0400

On 06/29/2016 11:24 AM, Rik wrote:

We have used the Wiki to track important bugs for the last two release
cycles, but I don't mind trying something different.

If we want to switch to Savannah then I would use the criteria that any bug
with a severity greater than 4 must be fixed before the release.  And to
begin with, all bugs in the "Crash" and "Configuration and Build System"
categories should be elevated to a severity of 4.  As the bugs are triaged,
those which won't be fixed can have their priority lowered back to 3 -
Normal.  It would probably be a good idea to leave a comment saying that
the bug was reviewed for the 4.2 release, but was determined not to be a
blocker.

It still is important to capture information about which bugs are important
to users.  We could re-purpose the 4.2 Bug List page to be a list of bugs
proposed by users to be fixed before the release.  Alternatively, it seems
Savannah has a voting system.  I've never used it myself, but we could ask
users to upvote the bugs they consider most important.

Thoughts?  I think we should get our ducks in a row in the next day or so
as people are already starting to work on the release.

I was mostly questioning whether we were unnecessarily duplicating information on the wiki that could easily be maintained in the bug tracker along with the bug reports.

If people would prefer to use the wiki and don't mind the duplication then that's fine.

I'd prefer to avoid using the voting feature.