Re: Working on bvp4c

From: lakerluke
Subject: Re: Working on bvp4c
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 03:59:00 -0700 (PDT)

Il 08/Lug/2016 12:53, "Carlo de Falco" <address@hidden> ha scritto:

>> I would like to work on improving this and so I have started by trying to
>> understand the code that is already written. There are certain hard coded
>> values in this file that give me the impression that this is just an
>> implementation of Simpson's rule. Am I right in thinking this? For
>> example:
>>
>> line 69:
>>
>> s    = 3;
>>
>> line 162:
>>
>> persistent B= [1/6 2/3 1/6 ];
>>
>> I am aware that matlab's implementation of bvp4c uses a three stage
>> Lobatto IIIA formula

The two are actually equivalent in this context according to the authors of
bvp4c :
http://www.orcca.on.ca/TechReports/TechReports/2001/TR-01-02.pdf

>>and I was wondering what are the main things to look at in Octave's
current bvp4c file in order to progress it.

the current implementation is very crude , there's lots to be done ...

>> I am currently using this as a resource for how to improve this code:
>>
>> http://homepage.math.uiowa.edu/~ljay/publications.dir/Lobatto.pdf
>>
>> If you know of any other useful resources for this project please let me
>> know.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Luke

Thank you for the response and the resource, Carlo. I am now looking through
that pdf and analysing the code in bvp4c.m to look at ways of improving the
script. If anyone else has any resources they think would be useful for this
project, please let me know.

Luke