Re: More everything into the octave namespace

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: More everything into the octave namespace
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 11:35:44 -0400

On 08/16/2016 11:11 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:

Grepping for "-" would show the classes that disappeared.

The problem with this approach is that:

  1 - it includes classes that are only used internally.
  2 - does not show the enclosing class for nested classes (for example,
    the new string class, is actually nested inside text_renderer which
    itself is a new class)

Or classes that are already inside a namespace?

I think at this point they have be to be looked at manually.

Right, but that's a good start.

Also, we need to decide in which namespace are putting each one of them.
I think you mentioned on IRC that we don't want to have too many namespace
and I agree.  So what namespaces will we have under octave? math, parser,
gui, graphics, interpreter?

So far, we have these namespaces inside the main octave namespace:

  build_env
  crypto
  math
  string
  sys

If we need more later we can add them. But we should try to keep the list small.

There are also a few more in the GUI and JIT compiler that I don't think are part of the octave namespace. Those should not cause trouble. We don't install header files from the GUI directory (yet) and the JIT compiler doesn't really work so can't possibly have many (any?) users.