Re: new gsvd function incompatible w/Matlab

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: new gsvd function incompatible w/Matlab
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 16:37:17 +0100

On 17 August 2016 at 16:28, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
> All,
>
> I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but the new gsvd function
> doesn't calculate the same values as Matlab.  This is a shame, because no
> one with existing Matlab gsvd code will switch to Octave unless it is clear
> that they can get the same results.  I filed a bug report about it here
> (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?48807).
>
> If we are lucky, it is simply a matter of recombining the outputs in a
> different format, but I am not a linear algebra expert so I haven't tried.

That is my fault.  I assumed that the function in the linear-algebra
package would behave the same because it was named the same, so I told
Barbara to just make it work with Octave and fix the code duplication
issues.

The code on the linear-algebra had tests and again I assumed the tests
would cover any Matlab compatibility issues.  The tests also got moved
into Octave.

Nir and Barbara, could you comment on this differences?  I too do not
know much about linear-algebra.  Barbara, could you come up with more
tests for this that will cover the incompatibilities?  And double check
that the existing tests really are Matlab compatible?

Carnë