Buildbot

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Buildbot
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 19:39:14 -0400

I've installed an instance of buildbot here:

  http://buildbot.octave.org:8010

I also added a section about it on the wiki:

  http://wiki.octave.org/Continuous_Build

The only build slave is currently a system I maintain that is running Debian testing. As the wiki page shows, I'm building the following configurations (all from the hg default branch):

  GCC 4.9
  GCC 5
  GCC 6
  default system GCC with no optional dependencies
  Clang 3.7
  Clang 3.8
  Clang 3.9
  mxe-octave for Windows 32
  mxe-octave for Windows 64
  mxe-octave for Windows 64 with 64-bit indexing

I can easily add builds of the stable branch, but will probably wait until after 4.2 is released since the stable branch is currently frozen.

I would like to expand the set of systems to cover other Operating systems and configurations but will need help with this. Important systems include

  Mac OS X
  Debian stable
  Unbuntu
  RHEL
  Fedora
  ?

If you are interested in running a buildbot slave for one of these systems, please reply to this message on the mailing list or contact me. I would also be happy to offload some of the CPU cycles required for building the various configurations that I'm currently handling.

Other open projects:

* Set up a slave running on a Windows system that can fetch copies of Octave built with mxe-octave, install them, and run the test suite.

* Properly filter the test results. Currently the test step succeeds if it exits with zero status. There is no check on the number of test failures.

My hope is that doing continuous builds on many different operating systems and configurations will help speed development by alerting us to build or test failures almost as soon as they are introduced. As it is now, most developers are working on Linux systems and we often don't see failures on other types of systems for some time. Once a problem is noticed it can be difficult and time consuming to determine just what change caused the trouble.