Re: Add missing function db2pow

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Add missing function db2pow
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 10:45:13 -0800

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 05:27:58 -0800, NVS Abhilash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a newbie to octave programming and development, I am really interested
> in adding a missing function to octave, and while surfing the mailing list,
> I found this link
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/missing-functions-db2pow-and-pow2db-td4679753.html
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/missing-functions-db2pow-and-pow2db-td4679753.html>
>

> So, I saw that this is a very simple function to start with. So I want to
> ask, is it ok to go for it.
>
> If yes can anyone tell me where to add that .m file, I assume
> octave/scripts/signal. But anyone's suggestion and thoughts would be
> helpful.

This function will not be part of Octave, it would make more sense to
add to the signal package.

See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?39309#comment4 for some current
thoughts about domain-specific functions in core Octave.

If you are set on contributing a missing function to core Octave vs a
Forge package, take a look at the function
scripts/help/__unimplemented__.m, skip to the end of the file, where
there is a curated list of names of Matlab functions that Octave does
not yet have.

Please do ask about specific functions, as some people may already have
ideas, partial work, or the function may exist in other forms elsewhere
already.

--
mike