Re: Rethinking octave_idx_type

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Rethinking octave_idx_type
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 17:27:36 -0500

On 11/25/2016 11:35 PM, Rik wrote:

Other than performance, I think it does make sense to become more
compatible with the STL.  I don't think we have to switch to an unsigned
type though.  2^63 = 9 x 10^18 elements and if each element is an IEEE
double that would be 70 exabytes.  I don't know of any personal PCs that
would need the extra bit of addressing from an unsigned type because
they actually have 140 exabytes of memory.

Using size_t (which is unsigned) helps compatibility with the STL because that's what it uses for sizes and indexing. But I agree it is not absolutely necessary. We already get away with using a signed type and have dealt with most of the places where compilers warn about mixing signed and unsigned types.