Re: display smith chart

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: display smith chart
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:11:48 -0800

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 10:20:56 +0100, Dr. K. nick wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> the smith chart is a very useful tool in the field of rf- and microwave
> engineering for plotting/displaying  scattering resp. impedance
> parameters data. To be able to create this type of plot conveniently, I
> have created a small script (see attachment) which does that. It plots a
> smith chart and with the hold on/hold off function you can plot your
> data on top of it.
>
> As this script might be useful for others too, I'd like to suggest
> inserting it into the standard octave distribution.

Thanks for providing this to the list. This script is not suitable for
the core Octave distribution, because Octave does not provide scripts,
only functions; and because Octave generally steers away from highly
domain-specific functions, leaving that to add-on packages developed
independently.

My advice would be to attempt to make this Matlab compatible, you might
want to try rewriting your script as a function called "smithchart" [1].
It could then be included in a package of antenna and radio related
functions. Octave does not yet have a RF package, but if there is enough
interest one could be developed.

[1]: https://www.mathworks.com/help/rf/ug/smithchart.html

--
mike