Re: Octave Forge -- Looking for a new leader

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Octave Forge -- Looking for a new leader
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 16:59:37 +0100

Le 08/01/2017 à 16:23, c. a écrit :
On 8 Jan 2017, at 16:09, Nir Krakauer <address@hidden> wrote:

Sure, we just need to have the needed permissions and a specification of the
process (on the Wiki).
Or, we let each package maintainer distribute the package where they wish and
just maintain a list of links on octave.org.
that way we can get rid of all (or 99.999% al least) of the OF maintainance
burden for good ...

My opinion about the first option (letting each maintainer do the release process) : why not, but...

1) This means giving write access to both the FRS and the web site to *all* package maintainers. But don't we want to give this permission only to people that have proved themselves trustworthy in some sense?

2) Unless we develop a comprehensive set of tools to check for formal correctness (tarball structure, presence of all mandatory files, reproducibility of build, etc.), this means again putting a lot of trust in *all* package maintainers (to do that themselves "manually", following some "process" on the wiki).

My opinion about the second option (transforming OF into a collection of externally hosted repos and/or tarballs) : this would be very drastic change of philosophy, and...

1) It only partially solves the problem, since the release of a package means updating the web site both to let it point at the new release (unless we define a standard way to find it on the external site), and to update the documentation (unless we also stop distributing a documentation of the OF web site ?).

2) And again, I believe that it requires as above a comprehensive set of tools for automated checking of formal correctness (unless we accept the idea that OF is a collection of links without any garantee of quality ?).

This is just MHO anyway.

But, should this discussion continue for weeks until a decision is made and the necessary tools are developed, I think (as I said earlier) that the necessary permissions for handling releases should be given to a group of people that can get the job done, at least for some transition period.

@++
Julien