Re: Proposal for a team of admins

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Proposal for a team of admins
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 20:30:57 +0100

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 12:20:14PM +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
> Given the vote result (scope of OF), and given that so many are
> willing to help with the whole scope of OF, my taking part in
> administration would be obsolete, since I would only help with
> managing the controlled packages, not the external ones.

Well, I don't quite stand to this anymore, as you see below.

> But how should we proceed now? Should we first fix some list of
> responsibilities and then choose the respective persons (would be
> logical, but more tedious)? Or should we choose some persons and leave
> it to them to define the responsibilities?

Considering the vote result, and combining the suggestions of Oliver
(wiki), Carnë, and myself into a short list of 5 'shares' for
administration, the rough result is here:

1. organizing election based decisions, anything which is not item
   1., and decisions on:

-- access issues

-- categorizing packages (accepted/removed to/from controlled
   'section' of OF? maintained or unmaintained?)

2. (assistance with) reviewing contributions of new controlled
   packages,

3. at least formally reviewing releases of controlled packages

4. formally reviewing releases of externally hosted packages
   (licenses, copied repository up-to-date)

5. website managing, including backups

Something of my only partially informed opinion regarding persons (out
of those who volunteered) is:

share 1.: Julien has shown the most initiative to take it (maybe with
others, but I'm not so sure anymore that more than 1 person is good)

share 2.: I'd offer my help here (together with others?)

share 5.: Oliver seems very suitable, maybe others want to help (also
Julien?)

shares 3 and 4?

Thoughts?

Are we able to knock this into a shape on which we can vote?

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 05:25:47PM +0000, Carnë Draug wrote:
> If this goes forward, I would suggest a page on the wiki for each
> decision with the multiple options written by the project leader, a
> section for each person wanting to add their own arguments, and then
> a public vote.

Oliver, do you see a way to transfer this discussion to the wiki, in
the spirit of what Carnë suggested? 'Project leader' in the above
sense, as long as we have none, must be someone who coordinates the
discussion. I'd be happy if, for now, the person who installs that
part of the wiki also formulates the possibilities for decisions.

NB: The list of responsibilities on the wiki is a good guideline, but
we can probably discuss its details later. Some points of it only
apply to 'controlled' packages now, after the last vote.

Olaf