Re: strategy for .h files?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: strategy for .h files?
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 18:06:38 -0400

On 05/02/2017 04:18 PM, Rik wrote:

Summarizing, Octave's aim is for lightweight header files.

Generally, yes. But I would also add that inline function definitions are fine, provided that they are relatively small and don't require pulling in system- or feature-dependent header files.

Without inlining things like forwarding through the rep pointer (all the "rep->foo ()" calls in octave_value, for example) I think the performance would really suffer. In the future we might be able to avoid using reference counting for some of these core classes (like octave_value) or rely more heavily on link-time optimization, but until then, we need function inlining and for that to work we have to provide many function definitions in the header files.