Re: bugs to fix before 4.4.0 release

From: Rik
Subject: Re: bugs to fix before 4.4.0 release
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 15:37:14 -0800

On 01/03/2018 02:08 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> On 01/03/2018 02:54 PM, Rik wrote:
>> In addition to straightforward bugs, I'd like to see the performance not
>> degrade too much between releases.  I know that this is a trivial test, but
>> the performance of double-nested for loops shows that performance has been
>> declining over major releases, and that the development branch is 2.6X
>> slower than 4.2.1.
>>
>> Sample Code:
>>
>> a = 1; b = 1; t0=tic; for i=1:1000; for j=1:1000; a = a + b + 123.0; end;
>> end; t1=toc(t0); t1
>>
>> Results:
>>
>> 3.8.2 : 0.84617
>> 4.0.3 : 1.4062
>> 4.2.1 : 1.43
>> 4.4.0-dev : 3.77
>
> Are you doing an apples-to-apples comparison?  E.g., all compiled on the
> same system with the same configuration?  It's not the case that one of
> those is a release build and the release is compile with all
> optimizations or something like that?  Same thing for JIT support?

Yes, all versions were self-compiled on the same machine and use the same
compile options.  No JIT.  I believe they were all the same gcc major and
minor versions as well.

It's a bit of a mystery.  I tried compiling octave with profiling and using
oprofile but I never really got results that I could understand and that
would lead to taking some concrete action.

--Rik