Re: Sparse multiprecision matrices, SDP and the free field

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Sparse multiprecision matrices, SDP and the free field
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 14:16:15 -0500 (CDT)

Konrad Schrempf wrote
> Dear Octave-Experts,
>
> I'm mainly developing new mathematical non-commutative algebraic
> theory.
> <snip>
> I followed the discussion on matrix functions in detail and
> know the difficulty because I once programmed some myself using
> the book of Higham (2008). How is the status (briefly) here?
> Not that I can contribute substantial development right now
> due to the lack of ressources but I do have ideas for develop-
> ment on a meta level, i.e. to generate high level mathematical
> code ...

AFAIK a link to the latest fum.m is in this discussion here:
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Re-GSOC-16-Improvements-to-sqrtm-logm-and-funm-td4675180.html
and points to:
https://github.com/RickOne16/matrix

It's an .m file function but TTBOMK the intention was to rewrite it in C++.
I've seen no activity there since 2016 but note that ATM the linear-algebra
package doesn't have a dedicated maintainer so there seems to be no nudge
from that side.

The original funm.m for Octave (in the linear-algebra package) was
contributed by me back in 2000 and I maintained it for a while. I still use
it regularly (invoking modified Bessel functions) for problems where the
matrices are known to be positive (semi-)definite and have distinct
eigenvalues. I haven't tried the one on github yet as my own code Just
Works, but I intend to do that some time.

Philip