Re: OCTAVE_API_VERSION without '+' character?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: OCTAVE_API_VERSION without '+' character?
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 11:06:00 -0800

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 10:47:47 -0800, Rik wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I notice that the release task you moved was
>
> Increment oct file API version number (configure.ac:OCTAVE_API_VERSION,
> increment number and drop "+" suffix)
>
> Do we need the '+' suffix on OCTAVE_API_VERSION anymore?  If today's
> (4.4.1) API version is 52, wouldn't it make sense to have the stable be 53,
> and the development branch be 54?

I agree stable should be updated to "api-v53".

It could be discussed whether we still need to have an API version
string that changes between the development branch and the stable
release (53 → 53+ → 54).

I would guess that it was done that way to make sure that Forge and
other external oct files were actually recompiled after a release was
made.

Let's say we make the default branch be "api-v54" now, and not change it
when Octave 6 is released. The only down side is that a user may build
an oct file against the development version in September and not realize
that it needs to be recompiled after the release, until they see a crash
or other weird runtime behavior.

--
mike