Re: Encoding in Octave 5.0

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: Encoding in Octave 5.0
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 02:27:48 -0600 (CST)

mmuetzel wrote
> Am 30. Januar 2019 um 08:30 Uhr schrieb "Markus Mützel":
>> Am 29. Januar 2019 um 18:02 Uhr schrieb "Chris Zheng":
>> > Dear maintainers,
>> >
>> > I use Octave within Emacs under Windows 8.1 using Inferior Octave
>> > mode. With version 4.4.1, the following code
>> >
>> > title('é');
>> > print n.svg
>> >
>> > results in garbage content in the Figure window, but the right content
>> > in the SVG file. However with version 5.0.90 downloaded from
>> > ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/octave/, the above code results in right
>> > content on the screen but wrong content in the SVG file (the wrong
>> > content is encoded in GBK which is my locale encoding). The code sends
>> > to the Octave process is indeed encoded in UTF-8. I wonder what is
>> > changed between 4.4.1 and 5.0, and what can I do to fix the problem.
>>
>> I can confirm what you describe with the 5.0.90 build on Windows 10: The
>> strings in the svg should be UTF-8 encoded. But they seem to be encoded
>> in Latin-1 (which is my locale encoding).
>>
>> Can you please open a bug report on savannah with your example?
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave
>>

> Sorry. Please wait before opening a bug report.
> I thought that .svg file creation no longer went through .ps (which has
> problems with non-ASCII characters). But it looks like it still does.
> @Pantxo: I think you know the printing system better. Do you know which
> options would make this work for svg? Thanks.
>
> Markus

The only difference with how SVG was handled before, is that we try to
reconstruct polygons (if any) through the use of a new utility program
(octave-svgconvert). Since the original SVG file (straight out of gl2ps) is
read and rewritten, it is probable that the final write operation is
performed (by Qt) using the users locale encoding. I'll take a look and see
if I can find something.

Pantxo