Re: A new function for the Optics package

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: A new function for the Optics package
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 17:53:13 +0200

Hi Jose,
thank you for your contribution.

Am 21.07.19 um 17:38 schrieb Jose Ramom Flores das Seixas:
> I have written a function that could be incorporated to the optics
> package. This new function calculates the Zernike polynomials and their
> partial derivatives in Cartesian coordinates, using a recursive
> algorithm described in reference [1].
>
> I'm sending an attachment with three files:
>   * zernikes_and_derivatives_cartesian_OSA.m, it is the main function

Is this really needed? I only had a quick look but for me it looks like
a lookup table with coefficients, which can be calculated. (and btw, a
licence header is missing)

Can you also add some tests (if they make sense) and some demos?
The demos often serve as exmaples to show how a function can be used.

>   * Zernikes_cartesian_OSA.pdf, where the recurrence relations are
>     explained, as well as the modifications to these relations that I
>     have made to accommodate the standard OSA. I wrote this file for
>     those who want to understand the algorithm used.

I think this can go inside a ./doc directory. Can you also provide the
tex source which generated the pdf? I think we should include this and
generate the pdf in the Makefile.

> It's the first time I've sent anything, so it's possible there was some
> loose end left.

I'm very busy so it would be good if you can create a hg changeset which
I can apply. And perhaps you can have a look how other forge packages
include documentation and how it can be found by the user.

> I also compared my function with zernike_cartesian.m, a function of the
> optics package written by Andreas Weber. The differences are either zero
> or very small. To my disappointment, the average execution times are
> similar.

I've implemented them for adaptive optics using EASLMs and generate
holograms so speed was always important ;-)

-- Andy

PS: If I don't respond within a week please feel free to trigger me
again and again. I'm very busy and things might get lost