Re: "pkg unload" opinions please?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: "pkg unload" opinions please?
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 14:30:52 -0800

On Fri, Jan 03, 2020 at 08:43:26 -0600, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
> Given the fact that "pkg load" has an (undocumented) "-nodeps" option:
> (A0. Document the '-nodeps' option for "pkg load")
> A1. Emit an error and do not unload "A" and "B"
> A2. Only unload package "A" if "pkg unload" was called with a "-nodeps"
> flag; document and implement it.

I've already weighed in on the bug report, but I agree with this choice
as well.

> (2) Bugs #41298 and #41215 (about implementing a "pkg test" feature) have
> been revived and patches for them can be tested. In order to "pkg test"
> packages they must be loaded incl. all dependencies, and it would be elegant
> if packages loaded in the course of a "pkg test" run could be gracefully
> unloaded afterwards.

I've commented on #41215 that I don't think you need any explicit
unloading logic to complete this feature.

For full clarity, I think "pkg unload" and any logic or dependency
checks we add to it are purely for user convenience. Code that
temporarily loads and unloads packages ideally only needs to save the
path before and restore it after.

--
mike