Re: Working on nnet package

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Working on nnet package
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 11:18:32 +0100

On Sat, Jan 04, 2020 at 12:02:03PM +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 10:35:15AM +0200, Evangelos Rozos wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 at 04:54, Kai Torben Ohlhus <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> > > Dear Olaf,
> > >
> > > Can you provide the necessary access rights for Evangelos Rozos?
> > >
> > > @Evangelos Rozos: What is your username on SourceForge (SF)?  I think
> > > this might be helpful to know.  Until you get the necessary access
> > > rights, you can work on a fork of the nnet package on SF and merge back
> > > later.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Kai
> > >

> > My SF username is 'vrozos'
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Sorry, I had an 'email-break' over the end of year.
>
> Well, it was always so that with a new developer (?) we first looked
> at some code before we gave access. Could you provide your first
> improvements as mercurial changeset(s) at the patch tracker?

I've seen you provided a patch at:

https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9882

I'd beg you to revise the submission:

- At least in this case there should be a change which is complete
  (see below). It is ok to split it into several changesets, but all
  of them should be available for review.

- Usually all files have a copyright and license notice. If you think
  your new files are too short for a copyright, please indicate
  explicitely in these files that you are the author and that the code
  in the file is in the public domain.

- All function files under inst/ must contain a documentation,
  preferably in texinfo (for new files, it'd make no sense not to use
  texinfo). If possible, files under inst/private/ should also contain
  a (texinfo) documentation, maybe as short as:

## -*- texinfo -*-
## @deftypefn{Function File} {} name_of_function ()
##
## Undocumented internal function.
##
## @end deftypefn

- The existing Latex documentation under doc/ should be updated to
  note and/or explain the new transfer functions.

- Since the package has an INDEX file, all functions under inst/ must
  be in it (add leakybin and leakyrelu).

- Please add tests (maybe to inst/newff.m?) for the functionality you
  added to make reviewing easier.

- Although it is not adhered to throughout, please try to stick to our
  coding style. (E.g. spaces at both sides of '=' and operators, space
  between function name and opening paranthesis of arguments, _no_
  space between variable name and opening paranthesis of index.)

Are you aware of the fact that nnet is currently stated to be
unmaintained at our website? Do you intend to maintain it and release
it once more? If not, you should consider that your improvements to
the package might be wasted because it might not be released again.

Olaf