Re: 64-bit indexing -- Test machine available with 128GB ram 32 CPUs 12T

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: 64-bit indexing -- Test machine available with 128GB ram 32 CPUs 12T scuzzy on Fedora31
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:30:07 +0900

On 2/9/20 9:36 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

>     I'm at Univerity of Illinois, doing physics modeling since 2003.
>     Have written thousands of matlab functions.
>     This year I'm beginning the changeover to Octave.  So each function
>     will be somehow tested.
>     Outside of octave/matlab i am only a requirements writer, not a coder.
>
>     If I can be of any help to you, glad to serve.
>
> I can't comment on the 64bit linux dev, but I can definitely say you can
> be of great help 'without being a coder'. Providing a fresh look at
> things that don't work, pointing out bugs as you try to port over..But,
> since a large fraction of the code base is written in m-code, you
> actually probably are in a decent position to help on the code side as
> well. (I personally can't touch anything outside of m-code world, but
> have still been able to generate a few functions and bug patches)
>
> Welcome aboard!

Dear Norm Dyer,

Thanks for your interest.  If your system supports Singularity [1,2]
(free and open source software), you can try out my test image [3] and
run the example from the wiki [4] in it's memory extensive form (32 GB)
for testing:

   clear all;
   N = 2^31;
   ## The following lines requires about 32 GB of RAM!
   a = ones (N, 1);
   b = ones (N, 1);
   c = a' * b

I would be glad to receive comments on this approach.  Especially, if my
 test images "survive" your Matlab scripts.

Basically I want Linux user's to make use of Octave in several flavors
with only having to compile it from scratch.  But all still work in
progress.

Kai

[1] https://sylabs.io/singularity/
[2] https://github.com/sylabs/singularity