Re: portable terminal

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: portable terminal
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 18:34:37 -0400

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 6:04 PM Rik <rik@octave.org> wrote:
On 07/29/2020 02:16 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 3:42 PM John W. Eaton <jwe@octave.org> wrote:

A separate problem that I see is that when I'm starting Octave from a
remote system it doesn't open the terminal window.  I'm not sure what's
happening there.  I have a terminal window open on my desktop system
running ssh to connect to another system with X forwarding through the
ssh connection.  My DISPLAY is set properly.  The Octave GUI and Plot
windows open correctly.  Executing

   system ("emacs", false, "async")

opens a new Emacs window.  But

   system ("x-terminal-emulator", false, "async")

does not.  Weird.

You can try to set LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose and see if you get some error messages.
On un-related note, there is no "x-terminal-emulator" on Fedora/Redhat systems.

I believe Fedora implements "alternatives" rather than Debian "update-alternatives".  Maybe you could check whether something like it exists, but under another name.

It is not too difficult to create one, but it is not provided by default.

--Rik

Dmitri.