Re: buildbot server down?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: buildbot server down?
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 13:08:46 -0400

On 9/5/20 12:40 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

Do I get the setup right, that only the Buildbot Master runs in that
Digital Ocean droplet?  Or anything else?

To my experience, there is no need for the Buildbot Master to use up
that much CPU and RAM.  My instance is not as busy as yours, but all
files (sqlite database, log files, etc.) are below 1 MB and the CPU is
mostly sleeping, RAM consumption is minimal.

In another thread [1], a tool called buildbot-profiler [2] is used.
Maybe this can be of some help to find the problem?

Thanks, yes, the buildbot master should never grow like that.

I finally discovered what was happening. It was trying to build copies of Octave that included changeset 549c10384cc2, which has a stray "keyboard" in a test. So it was apparently filling up some internal buffers for the results of the tests with "keyboard> " repeated endlessly.

I didn't need the profiler, but it's good to know that it exists in case we do need something like that in the future.

So, I reduced the size of the droplet again (no need to double the cost if we don't need it) and I'm attempting to make it skip that revision.